Feb 17, 2019

GOT TO GET TO BEAR'S: Get Your Hands on This Picture Book by Brian Lies

I recently wrote about THE ROUGH PATCH, written and illustrated by Brian Lies. I was not alone. The book was awarded a Caldecott Honor, among many other accolades, and I urge you to read it.
Houghton Mifflin Books

Just a few months after the release of that gorgeous and powerful picture book, GOT TO GET TO BEAR'S hit the presses. Also written and illustrated by Brian Lies, this picture book will tug your heartstrings and become a family favorite. The  remarkably appealing story involves adventure, internal rhyme, a few spontaneous and encouraging song lyrics, and a cast of characters with delightfully clever names. The nuanced language elements entertain but also enhance the momentum of their journey. The remarkable visual details provide rich resources for smiles and reveal each character's personality in wonderfully organic ways. Both voice and visuals entice readers to return to the book again and again.

This is a story to warm the heart, tickle the funny bone, fascinate the eye, and enjoy again and again. There are countless potential mentor moments- the importance of the apostrophe in "bear's", the voice of each cleverly distinct character, and the subtle visual details (many related to the story, and many others- not!). This cumulative adventure has a surprise component, a model of true friendships, and lilting language that leads readers to a satisfying, circle-story conclusion. 
Themes of loyalty, persistence, teamwork, kindness, and trust are woven throughout and emerge naturally in the course of the story. 


If you get the feeling that I'm a fan of BRIAN LIES you're nearly right. Actually, I'm a fan of his work, although I've never met the man. I look forward to each pending release, check them out of the library immediately, then feel compelled to purchase the book(s) for my own collection and as gifts. Yes, his illustrations are irresistible. Yes, I am a naturalist and deeply appreciate the ways his art and narrative capture the true nature of animals I adore. 
Good reasons to rave, right?
Yes, but my enthusiasm has as much to do with the undeniable heart in each distinct book, with the blend of humor and concern, with the hint of the unseen daily lives of the characters.   Here are some other suggestions to explore:







2 comments:

  1. I was struck by both Bari's newest books. Loved Rough Patch so much I voted for it in aMock Caldecott. Sandy, we have good taste, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bet! I'm so reluctant to designate "favorites" among any books, authors, categories, genres, etc. because there are so MANY excellent options. My preferences shouldn't shape the choices of others. What I prefer, instead, is pricing individual offerings and, often, highly reliable creators of such excellence. I agree that Brian Lies consistently produces outstanding books that sustain their appeal across time, ages, and topics. Happy to have your endorsement!

    ReplyDelete

Picture books are as versatile and diverse as the readers who enjoy them. Join me to explore the wacky, wonderful, challenging and changing world of picture books.