Jun 11, 2024

A Fathers Day Marvel: BUNNY SHOULD BE SLEEPING

NEAL PORTER BOOKS,
Holiday House, 2024


 BUNNY SHOULD BE SLEEPING
may just be the most ideal Fathers Day picture book I've ever read. Written by Amy Hest and illustrated by Renata Liwska, the cover alone is likely to elicit "aw-w-ws" for the obvious and deft gentle tone and tender appeal of the character and the situation suggested by the cover (check the back jacket cover, too.)

My first awareness of it, including praise from other reviewers, left me eager to read it. I've now renewed my library copy and re-read it multiple times, preparing to share it with you at this special calendar timing in celebration of fathers. That was not my original intention. I imagined it would fit well among anyone's collection of bedtime books, portrayed by an appealing little bunny in need of yet another story or other delay to the inevitability of sleep. 

The images are warmly sleepy and comforting despite the cool colors filling each page. As the story unfolds, the drama increases. Readers share Bunny's worrying concern and mission yet travel within Bunny's safe and secure home, habits, and thoughts.  The text assures us of Bunny's soft blanket and warm toes while the glowing moon offers a haven from full darkness. Even so, Bunny lies awake, revealing his remaining need: 

"Come on, Dad! Check on me, check on me, check on me!"

Waiting is hard, and Bunny must take action. Once he collects the necessary items in his wagon, he takes them to Dad's room, who is asleep under that same glowing moon. When Bunny offers each of the comfort items from their prior routines, Dad sleeps on. Bunny's next move is more direct. The pages that follow are as tender and perfect as you might imagine, and utterly satisfying in the simplicity and power of the text and the images. Don't imagine that it is predictably "sweet", it is also surprising in wonderful ways. 

Whether your Fathers Day dad (defined however you feel at home with that title) is still in this young-child stage of life or long past it, I imagine many who would love this story and the appreciation and recognition it implies. The responsibilities of fatherhood/parenthood are immeasurable and often overwhelming, but this recognizes that "the little things" really do matter, and always will. 

I've written in prior posts about the significance of nightly read-aloud sessions with Dad, Mom, and my siblings. Among the many ways I benefited from my parents' habits and guidance, those nightly readings are priceless and irreplaceable in forming the person I am today. I've also written multiple  Fathers Day recommendations/reviews, easily located using the search box in the side menu. Whether you check those out or not, I certainly hope you will take time to read (and reread) this masterful picture book, for its powerful message, and to appreciate the talents and skills of its creators and book designers. 

1 comment:

Picture books are as versatile and diverse as the readers who enjoy them. Join me to explore the wacky, wonderful, challenging and changing world of picture books.