May 5, 2021

A Dandy Reminder: Dandelions Deserve More Respect

 This is a brief, transient, ephemeral post about my personal DANDELION attitude. As explored thoroughly in this post from NEST AND GLOW, there's plenty to love about dandelions. I find them delightful, though I'll readily admit that when my own yellow-dotted lawn blooms amid a neighborhood of pristine lawns, I perceive a nudge of guilt for seeding their lawns with my own crop of dandy dandelions But I remind myself that whether I spay poison on my lawn or not, they will continue to do so. Any seeds arriving from my small lot will be killed off quickly on theirs. Sadly, so too will many of the valuable living things below, on, and above their lawns.

At least I know that the many birds, crawlers, and furry friends who tread my colorful lawn are in a safe haven when they join me in my yard.

Dandelions have short life cycles, so just a bit of patience is needed until the lawn returns to green. Their short life cycle mirrors our larger world of beauty, as this image indicates: 
SUN, MOON, STARS.

(Image from Nest and Glow website)

My own hearty dandelion crop reminded me of a picture book I reviewed last fall. Odd, isn't it, that a dandelion story caught my attention during the fall? By that point in the season any lingering lawn obsessions have shifted to leaf removal, but that's a story for another day, right?


Candlewick, 2020

DANDELION'S DREAM was imagined and created without words through the storytelling illustrations of Yoko Tanaka. 

DREAM is exactly the right word to use in this title, because this is a dream of a wordless, glorious, uplifting picture book. The premise, that a dandelion could actually DREAM, is a delightful starting point. Dandelion dreams a joyous journey for readers to share in a series of double page spreads. Subtle shades of gray, black, and a hint of glowing luminous yellow keep the focus firmly on little lion. Along the way there are page turns of lighthearted surprise, heartwarming kindness, and gentle longings that lead to a deeply satisfying conclusion.

It goes without saying that a wordless book must have incredible illustrations, but these take us to another level of imagination. What I particularly admire is the theatrical development of locations with enough detail to invite careful examination but a shadowy sleepiness that nudges us to simply enjoy the ride. A marvelous choice for bedtime, or story time.

Or,  when a twinge of peer pressure is causing your hand to stretch out  toward those chemical applicators, stretch out instead in a chair (or amid a field of little lions) and enjoy this picture book with your golden friends.


For good measure, here's a classic picture book by the longtime environmental activist, writer, and illustrator, LYNNE CHERRY. FLUTE'S JOURNEY follows an east coast wood thrush from its origin in the north, through fall migration to a tropical winter, then along their return north during spring migration. Without the least bit of anthropomorphic assumption, Cherry conveys the lifethreatening impact of habitat destruction (to expand suburbs), diminishing resources, and chemical treatments of lawns. 

Each of Cherry's many amazing picture books provides a dramatic and engaging story, a plethora of information, and rich supplementary content in endpapers and back matter. Before you reach for a spray bottle (or schedule a lawn "treatment" service), please read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Picture books are as versatile and diverse as the readers who enjoy them. Join me to explore the wacky, wonderful, challenging and changing world of picture books.