Jan 9, 2012

Ta-Da! Let the conversations begin!


Hello… *taps the screen* … Is anyone out there?

Allow me to introduce myself, in a blogging sort of way.
 I am, first and foremost, a reader. Always have been, always will be.
Also, a writer.
Oh, and a thinker.
Also a gabber.
And an infrequent Tweeter, @PBWorkshop.
In addition I’m an elementary educator, a teacher trainer, a library advocate, a book reviewer, an animal lover, and the child who was read to every single night.

As I debated whether or not to author a blog, I extended my search of existing blogs. (I’m an advocate of learning by example.) Considering the many superb blogs already “out there”, I reviewed my list above carefully. Could I actually contribute something unique to this topic in the vast world of blogging—something that would garner a following of like-minded readers?
As you can see, I’ve decided to step off the cliff into the blog-o-sphere to open a dialogue about a favorite literacy topic: the lovely, lively, and often surprising world of picture books.
I’m launching this blogging venture for a number of reasons. First, I am convinced there are many of you out there who believe, as I do, that using quality literature with young readers is a privilege and a responsibility. Sadly, the constraints of budgets, testing, packaged curricular programs, and misguided accountability have been squeezing quality literature out of the classroom.
Additionally, I’ve found there are many adults (and kids) who think picture books are limited to the narrow (although admittedly valuable) categories of board books, concept books, and wordless books. This is as far from reality as I am from becoming America’s next super-model. Some of the finest quality fiction and non-fiction, the most challenging content, the most lyrical and inspiring language and intriguing images can be found between the covers of picture books.
And finally, I want to join the growing chorus of voices raised in protest over the premature declarations of the death of picture books. (New York Times article, April, 2011). Voices more authoritative than mine have taken on the defense of the vitality and value of picture books in current and future publication. And that means in print, not just as eBook versions. This is a conversation I am no longer willing to monitor from the sidelines.
For now, if you have a related blog (or know of one) you’d recommend on this or related topics, please share those links in your comments. I don’t wish to duplicate others, and do want to encourage as much exploration and use of picture books as possible.
And please, if you know a picture book, new or not, (authors, agents, editors, publishers?) you’d like to have discussed in the future, let me know.
And so, with a plan to post on any and all of the above and beyond, I’ll hope to see you back about once a week to join me in these conversations. And do join in. The sidelines are safe, but real power is in participation. 

30 comments:

  1. Good luck on the new blog. I love its title and I'm excited about reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet, thanks for the support. I'm hoping you'll agree to be interviewed in the months ahead. Your books are always a delight, not to mention great classroom additions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy:
    I am so excited that you have started this blog. Picture books have been a large part of my life as a child and as a mother. I look forward to reading more posts!

    Stephanie Richter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your positive outlook on the future of picture books! I am somewhat new to the business, but I think there is a lot of untapped potential. I am hoping to find a niche market in my area for books that are related to local topics of interest, and can be marketed to schools and libraries as much as the general market. My first effort has gone pretty well. Check out my plan for 2012...
    http://overinthevalley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, I enjoyed your post and admire your talent and commitment. PB art needs illustrators who not only imagine but also grown and learn- sounds like you! Thanks for reading and sharing your site.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck in this new venture. I've been blogging since last March & have enjoyed the community immensely. Here is one blog I know that focuses on picture books, but others do, too, & I do sometimes. http://asuen.wordpress.com/ I think you're so right about the breadth and depth of picture books. My long experience is middle school & I used them all the time, in every subject. I'll keep looking for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, thanks for the interest and encouragement. I'm thrilled to hear that you recognize and use various picture books with mature readers. They (the kids and the books) are a match made in heaven, and too many teachers/parents pass by the opportunity they offer for high level thinking and discussion. Thanks for the link- I'll check it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to the blogging world! I think you will have a lot of fun in it. You are so right about picture books being able to challenge and inspire readers, of all ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to be here, Amy, and happy to have you stop by. Hope to see you again.

      Delete
  9. Hi Sandy
    We are fellow writers and thinkers. We even write picture books sometimes. Pllease come visit. Have a look at the Pirate Alphabet,
    and browse to see what catches your fancy.
    We will look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do. Alphabet books are another category of PB that range from earliest audiences through to any age. And, lend themselves to focus topics- like pirates!
      Thanks for joining us here.

      Delete
  10. Looking forward to reading about your selections. I'm a children's illustrator/writer of PBs (prepublished) and I also review some picture books (sometimes in groups, like pirate picture books or princess with attitude picture books, and sometimes just because I love the author/illustrator). You can check it out at http://www.sylvialiuland.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do, Sylvia.
      Thanks for stopping by. Hope you'll find posts of interest.

      Delete
  11. I just stopped by to say "hi". I saw you on the Comment Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by, Russ. Loved the #MGLitchat last night, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Your first blog post... way to kick off with a splash!
    I've done a lot of thinking about this same thing, "Could I actually contribute something unique to this topic in the vast world of blogging—something that would garner a following of like-minded readers?"
    Eh, in the end, I'm not sure if it's as important as I thought to be as unique as possible. No matter what you do, there's always gonna be some other blogger around who's been doing the exact same thing and for longer! Just be yourself and you'll be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madigan,
      A welcome such as yours and the others above represent the kind of open and encouraging community that made my decision easy in the end. I just wanted to be in on the fun and maybe *fingers crossed* help someone discover something new along the way. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  14. We are always looking for quality picture book suggestions. Looking forward to your upcoming posts! I hope you concentrate on both new and older books.

    As a parent to young children, I've featured several picture books on my blog over the years. Many of my posts also include a corresponding activity or craft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we'll help you discover some new AND older titles, and things to do with them as well. Are you familiar with the British blog, playing By the Book? http://www.playingbythebook.net/ Very interactive suggestions, and they often feature titles available in the USA but not as familiar to our media.
      Hope to see you back!

      Delete
  15. You are so right about some of the best books being picture books. They may have less words, but some of the most meaning. I just read a picture book this week that is so amazing it is taking me days to think it over before I can review it fully. I feel so blessed to be one of those lucky adults who will read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Media. Now I NEED to know that title, so when you have your review posted please come back and share a link!
      Sometimes those few words in a PB have the deepest truths- nearly enough to drown. let me know when you've surfaced on this one.

      Delete
  16. Hi, I came here from the comment challenge. Congrats on an excellent first post. Lets give a big cheer for Picture books! I published my first one, last year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Carol,
    Thanks for stopping by. (I must have picked the best possible week in the world to launch a blog, since many seem to have found me on the challenge.)
    Details, please, about your PB? Title, availability?
    And congratulations on publishing- still waiting for my first success on that score, but I keep plugging away.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, I'm new here. I was also read to every night as a child! I still love picture books despite them being for children!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rena, I truly believe that if every child would be read to nightly it would change the world. Stories feed us, even when we go to bed hungry. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  19. Great launch! I am an as yet unpublished picture book writer and like to rave about and review PB's on my blog! Can't have too much picture book love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna, thanks for the encouraging words. Good luck with your own publishing efforts, too. Are you a member of SCBWI? Joining that group has helped me learn more than I could have imagined. (Anyone interested in writing for children is eligible to join- you don't have to be published.) I'll look for your blog and visit.

      Delete
  20. Glad you joined the conversation. Looking forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. G'day Sandy! I saw your introduction on the Kidlitosphere and came by to wish you many more wonderful picture books in your life. I mostly review picture books, but I also blog about children's literacy and learning at the Book Chook. Great to meet another pb fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'Day back to you, Susan. Thanks for stopping by, and kudos for your delightful website. Do you ever participate in the #pblitchat on Twitter? Hosted by Karen Callum and Kat Apel, and so it is scheduled on Aussie time. I've enjoyed getting to know more about the Au/NZ publishing world by participating when I can make it.

      Delete

Picture books are as versatile and diverse as the readers who enjoy them. Join me to explore the wacky, wonderful, challenging and changing world of picture books.