Oct 13, 2014

Miscellaneous TItles: Something for EVERYONE!

Life has not slowed down for me, which explains my intermittent postings here. 

Another reason for letting my intended posts lag a bit is the abundance of outstanding posts available  featuring absolutely fabulous picture books you really shouldn't miss. 

Here's an example from School Library Journal: FALL FUN, GREAT BOOKS FOR AUTUMN!
Twelve outstanding picture books are profiled, each celebrating the season and elements of fall traditions.  I recommend that you click over and take a look!

A third element consuming my time, in a surprisingly wonderful way, is writing. Work on a sequel for ODIN'S PROMISE is progressing fairly well, considering I never intended to write a sequel until readers insisted one is needed. Between research and drafting, (rinse/repeat), as well as preparing for presentations and programs, my prior posting schedule just can't be maintained at this time.

It's not as if I haven't been reading, though. 
GOODREADS is my site-of-choice for recording books I've read, I'll repost some of my recent picture book reviews here.


LIBRARY BOOK FOR BEAR, written by Bonnie Becker and illustrated by Kady MacDonald Denton, is up first.

I haven't met a Bonny Becker Bear book I didn't love, in large part because of that irresistible mouse who brings out the best in Bear despite himself. 
This one introduces Bear to the library and he once again surprises himself by enthusiastically embracing the very thing(s) he thought he disdained.








Another delight, for those who adore rhyming text, or bedtime books, or smile generators, or complex pictures that demand close examination... it's GOODNIGHT ARK, written by Laura Sassi and illustrated by Jane Chapman. 

A colorful, charming approach to fear of storms, forming communities of unexpected friends, and the comfort of bedtime rhymes will make this a repeat favorite in families.





And finally, just in time for October World Series  madness, there's no better book to capture the power of baseball than STREAK: HOW JOE DiMAGGIO BECAME AMERICA'S HERO. Written by Barb Rosenstock and illustrated by Terry Widener, this is a nonfiction narrative text that reads like fiction. The time, place, characters, and circumstances came together in a once-in-history way that excites and amazes, even many decades later. 
At a critical moment in American history, when the world seemed doomed by inevitable war, a seemingly impossible hitting streak played out, enacted by a subdued and proud player who united Americans with hope and excitement as a nation. Selected quotations, resources cited at the back, and links to current events of the day make this ideal for older readers.

For now, this mix of brief reviews and a high quality link will have to do. I read several other picture book recent releases  in the past month and loved them enough to start my holiday shopping early. I'll soon post notes about them with fuller treatment so you can start making your shopping lists, too.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Picture books are as versatile and diverse as the readers who enjoy them. Join me to explore the wacky, wonderful, challenging and changing world of picture books.