Apr 23, 2024

Ollie the Oak Tree? Oh, MY!

 

Page Street Kids, 2024


A new picture book is the debut for author Andrew Hacket and a lively visual adventure from award-winning illustrator Kaz Windness. The title only hints at the wild and wooly nature of Ollie's idea: OLLIE, the ACORN, and the MIGHTY IDEA. The title page illustrations set the stage for a story that is both familiar (a kid getting bullied by a bigger, neighbor kid), and outrageous! Or it will feel outrageous for anyone who is not a kid, but could actually sound pretty logical to young audiences. 

Ollie is an avid and very successful gardener. He loves the growth of his plants, but longs to grow as big and strong and tall as a mighty oak tree, His neighbor Everett is bigger, stronger, and "needles" Ollie often. 

That opening premise launches Ollie on a series of "I couldn't, I shouldn't..." possibilities that he promptly proceeds to try. He just might become an oak tree if he will swallow an acorn,  followed by the other things an acorn needs to grow that are not naturally in his stomach! That repetition of "I couldn't, I shouldn't..." sustains the reminder to readers that this is fantasy, so Ollie's eventual transformation and decisions (and consequences) lead to a fun resolve. Ollie's understanding of what "I could, I should...." choose to do is satisfying. The relationship is happily resolved, followed by friendly back matter that describes what plants need to grow, and why those elements are NOT MEANT TO BE SWALLOWED! 

The vibrant, cartoon-style illustrations by Windness saturate the pages and inspire imaginations and laughter. Layered onto the silliness are many learning details in visual narrative and in text, including some simple images of Ollie's digestive system, plant/gardening images and details, and the push-pull of internal conflict and interpersonal struggles. If you missed a recent post,  HERE, check out more lively books that consider the ways kids navigate their powerful emotions. 

Just a side note: 

Years ago I had a mighty oak tree in my yard and my beloved dog gobbled up quite a few acorns off the ground while I was nearby, gardening.(Ironic, right?) She became so ill that I nearly lost her  although she did eventually recover fully. After that I cleared acorns from her yard area, but I also posted small yard signs near the curb to warn dog-walkers in my neighborhood when the acorns began to fall each year. This might be an anecdote to share with kids in the name of protecting their pets and reminding them to pay attention to those back matter notes!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Picture books are as versatile and diverse as the readers who enjoy them. Join me to explore the wacky, wonderful, challenging and changing world of picture books.