Oct 11, 2023

CYBILS AWARDS Season Is Underway!

I'm offering this brief post as a FALL update about my review/reading status.  Longtime readers here are aware that I have been participating as a ROUND ONE Judge/panelists in a variety of categories for the annual CYBILS Awards. If you are wondering what those awards are, or how that organization works, click here.


I am excited to participate again this year, for the first time in a new category: Beginning Readers and Early Chapter Books. (Nominations are now open- please check out this and all categories to celebrate your favorite releases from 2023.) These books matter so  very much. If you or a family/friend has ever known and loved a book/series in this early literacy acquisition category (think FROG AND TOAD or HENRY AND MUDGE, for old-timers, or ELEPHANT AND PIGGY, etc.) you know that these remarkable little literary gems are the portals to a lifetime of reading joy, growth, and ownership. They offer many of the same characteristics as quality picture books but differ in important ways (a topic for one or  more coming posts). 

Since I'll be immersed in reading the nominated titles and forming evaluations, my posts here on picture book titles will be fewer and less detailed for the weeks ahead. I do expect to share upcoming and other noteworthy titles in fiction and nonfiction picture books, but my timing and details will shift until later in Fall. I urge you to follow along anyway on this new adventure of mine, since I'll incorporate many thoughts about comparing these categories as my reading unfolds. 

Meanwhile, thank you once again to the remarkable CYBILS BOARD and management team behind this longstanding award process. I appreciate the honor of taking part and relish the joy of sharing ideas and insights about wonderful books in this  and other categories as reviews and posts are shared on my platforms and on so many others.

Stay tuned...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Picture books are as versatile and diverse as the readers who enjoy them. Join me to explore the wacky, wonderful, challenging and changing world of picture books.