Sep 22, 2022

A Brief Hiatus... with some looks back on grieving

 Just popping in with a thank you and to share a personal  experience.

FIrst, and with deepest gratitude, I was humbled to notice that more than a quarter million page views of my various posts were tallied on the statistics page for this blog. In a decade plus of celebrating books and their creators with readers here, I do not pay much attention to stats. I prefer too focus on particular titles and reactions for each post, then imagine that a just-right reader will discover their just-right book, whether while reading live or through the archives. However this happened number developed, it means that you, who are reading this right now, helped to make it possible, and my thanks are meant for you. Some of YOU are folks who subscribe and read every post, while others may have only found a single post or two that crossed your path. Either way, I am humbled and honored to have you read my recommendations, interviews, and reflections from time to time.


Next to my usual work space is a gloriously intriguing stack of picture books that I was planning to share here in the next few weeks. I still will. 
But...

A recent (sudden) death in my family has me away from my routine schedules, without access to those books that I had intended for the next several reviews.

Instead, in my present frame of mind, I accessed some archived posts to share suggested titles for young audiences that are remarkably suitable for adults, too, in times of loss and grief and emotional stress.


Begin with
THE RABBIT LISTENED by author/artist Cori Doerrfeld.

This will be a comfort to any child for levels of upset from a sad disappointment to a tragic loss or disaster. The most important part of the book is for the adults who share it, to remind them that "sitting with" and "listening" is more important than fixing or solving or trying to make things better. For a significant period of time, sometimes forever, "better" is not an option on the table. 

But this is. My notes on this title are HERE.






Then move on to a story-in-a-story regarding grief, especially eventual loss that one can see coming. CRY, HEART, BUT NEVER BREAK is written by Glenn Ringtved and illustrated by Charlotte  Pardi. (translated from Danish)


Even when the end of life can be seen as inevitable, the urge to fight it, deny it, and protest are unavoidable. The pain is no less. But I do believe in the power of story, and this story offers a frame for a fable-like tale that can help restore our awareness of the balances we all live with day, night, year, decade, despite our human pattern of ignoring and denying the inevitable cycles of life.

Further thoughts can be found HERE.

I am out of time at the moment, and am not likely to post again for a week or so. If you are craving some book suggestions, please type a key word in the search bar (maybe GRIEF, at this moment) to find even more titles on this topic. Or choose SPORTS, or SEASONS, or ENVIRONMENT, or just click some dates from the past. 

I send each of you, along with my thanks, the joy of reading. Even more, I wish you the joy of sharing books, and the ultimate joy of being with people you love. Tell them.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Picture books are as versatile and diverse as the readers who enjoy them. Join me to explore the wacky, wonderful, challenging and changing world of picture books.