Mar 17, 2020

A Personal Story about HOW TO TIE A SHOE

I began this blog with liltle-to-no understanding of how to do it. But I knew I had something to say and decided to go for it. Some of my most personal and frequently viewed posts were from those early efforts, developed during a steep learning curve. 
That's pretty much me in a nutshell.
I seem to have been born with a determination to NOT be left behind, to learn everything I could, and to prove that I could do things I if I set out to do them. 

Don't confuse that with arrogance or ego.
I know my limits, and they are many. Even so, my youngest memories included an I CAN DO IT mindset that has, over the years, served me well, despite some spectacular face splats along the way.

Penny Candy Books, 2020
Here's a prime example:
As a youngest, then middle child, I was determined to do, to go, to copy everything my older brother and sister were doing. Picture those kid-dense neighborhoods of the fitties, playing outdoors from dawn-to-dusk
That's where and how we grew up, running in packs and playing in dirt lots, neighborhood parks, under lawn sprinklers, and pumping bike pedals. 
These were multi-aged kid-packs and the age-range was wide.  Upper-age kids would gradually peel off and younger ones would eventually tag along, keeping the population of the pack fairly stable. 
Even before kindergarten age, I was certain I belonged in that pack and tried to join daily. Depending on the activity, I might manage to chase the ice cream truck, to catch lightning bugs, or otherwise serve an apprenticeship to prove that I could keep up. 
I will never forget the day I sat on the top stoop of our front steps and called out to the gathering pack, "Wait for me, I'm coming." 
Someone older among them looked at the dangling laces on my sneakers and said, "You can't even tie your own shoes. You can't come."
My rage was such that I didn't think to ask for help, I shouted, "I CAN TOO TIE MY SHOES!"
Which I could not.
But I did. 
Right then and there.
And then I jumped up and ran after them, not pausing to wonder at what I had done or to wait for applause. 
I just did it. And I did it every day after that.

Ask any parent or kindergarten or preschool teacher how rare that result was. I credit not my manual dexterity but my determination and blind faith for my success.

Here's a short musical YOUTUBE clip that will remind  adults how tricky the process is, despite the clever and seemingly simple directions. There are also countless books and interactive toys allowing kids to practice the actual mechanism of tying shoes.

HOW TO TIE A SHOE & OTHER BIG ADVENTURES, created by SKIP HILLtakes a different approach. It's a HOW-TO book about building confidence, celebrating past success, and diving into daunting situations with both feet (and hands). The focus is on recognizing one's own agency and the exciting consequences of stepping forward into adventures. 
Interior spread: Penny Candy Books 2020
From the opening spread, it is clear that motivation and confidence can overcome even a massive serving of slippery spaghetti. Each page invites smiles, predictions about the direction of the text, and nods of recognition. 
The realistic black-and-white line drawings of diverse kids in a variety of settings connect young readers with memories of satisfying and successful experiences. 

This is not about the mechanics of tying shoes but about the mentality of making a stab at it. 
This is the first of a series of planned books and I look forward to reading the upcoming releases. 

Kirkus reviews gave it a well-earned star, and provided this quote:
"A quirky picture book that respects the intelligence of children."









1 comment:

  1. I love books that feel different and new. I can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete

Picture books are as versatile and diverse as the readers who enjoy them. Join me to explore the wacky, wonderful, challenging and changing world of picture books.