Jan 23, 2019

Reflections on Martin Luther King, Jr.

When I began this blog in 2012, I posted quite a few personal reflections.  I feel determined to return to a more reflective approach this year. I'll still write summaries, reviews, interviews, and suggest activities, but in light of the "instant" nature of society and news these days, I feel compelled to slow down, think more deeply, and explore more often. 
As I write this, it is officially Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. The federal government is shut down, but not for the holiday, A political stand-off. is underway, with American people being held hostag.  Trump and Pence spent all of two minutes on the capitol mall placing a wreath at the MLK Jr. Memorial. Pence later managed to compare Trump to MLK Jr., -- favorably! 

I won't comment on the above, because this is not a blog for political punditry. 

But these and other events did trigger some reflections. The official holiday does not occur on King's birthday, and this post will not go live until after the holiday ends. That is intentional. If you wonder why, take a few minutes to read one of my earliest posts sharing my thoughts on why specific days and designated months can be misconstrued, even abused, when those singular days or months become the "official" times to share history, or lay a wreath,  while not pursuing values that should be a part of daily life all year long. 
January, 2007. Caldecott Honor Book

I had been planning to share a post featuring two recent picture books involving kids in boxes. (Keep reading, I'll get to that). 
Those two titles combined with recent events to remind me of one of my favorite books, HENRY'S FREEDOM BOX. Written by Ellen Levine and illustrated by Kadir Nelson, this biography of Henry Brown reveals his struggles as an enslaved man, married to an enslaved woman. The hardships he survived over the years are described and pictured with wrenching  but age-appropriate clarity. Even so, the scene in which he witnesses his wife and children being sold away to the deep south pains me beyond any descriptions of his physical suffering or humiliation. 
Once that horror occurred, he determined to escape slavery and was aided in doing so by sympathetic abolitionists. In this true story, he was nailed into a shipping crate and sent North by rail. This biographic tragedy has a satisfying resolution, for Henry. 
I hardly find it  satisfying, let alone tolerable, that 2019 finds us immersed in a social climate that fosters and protects voices of racism, anti-semitism, and bigotry of all kinds. It more than unsatisfying to see people of all ages, colors, and backgrounds suffer with little or no recognition of the price they pay for a political debate.
I do admire and recommend this book for all ages, with special attention paid to the informative back matter, the revealing illustration details, and the surrounding history of the time. 

One encouraging outcome of years of movement toward a more fair society has been the admittedly slow trend toward equitable representation in the publishing business. Children's literature has failed to represent or support diverse creators, stories, and business leaders. Now there is finally some growing attention to producing books that reflect our diverse society, with images and stories to serve as mirrors, windows, and even prisms of possibility. 
Flowerpot Press, 2018
The recent release with a "kid in a box" that triggered my reflections is BEAUREGARD IN A BOX, written by Jessica Lee Hutchings and illustrated by Srimalie Bassoni. Beauregard's big dream is told in rhyming text. He dreams of traveling around the world, but his fear of flying limits him to read, write, and learn about the amazing world from home. Not one to travel virtually, though, he executes a plan to mail himself around the world. His romp across oceans and continents carries him, postally, to all the continents and eventually back home, touching on iconic highlights along the way. 
This modern day FLAT STANLEY doesn't need to be flattened and folded into an envelope, and the pals he meets along the way are diverse, healthy, and friendly.
I reread this several times to be certain, but I find no indication in the text that Beauregard is brown-skinned. In the past, that would have led to a default of Beauregard being portrayed as a white boy. The current illustration decision is a good example of the ease with which picture books can reflect the diversity of life and the wide world in which we live it. That, in turn, opens the eyes of young people to acceptance and appreciation of differences rather than suspicion, resentment, or stereotyping. End papers include Beau's "must-see" list of locations around the world. Maps on interior spreads and on the final endpapers encourage exploration of geography. All in all, this is a book that belongs in the world, and on library and classroom shelves.

One last "kid-in-a-box" book to mention is by Robert Munsch, illustrated by Michael Martchenko: MOVING DAY! In his signature style, Munsch tells a story involving a family situation with parental stress, sibling struggles, confusions, and solutions with emotional punch. In this case big sister Danielle is told to help out on moving day by tending to her younger siblings. While her parents box up belongings, Danielle boxes up the baby, the little sister, and the younger brother, who is the only one issuing protests. Naturally, they all arrive safely, and Danielle learns that what goes around comes around. It's straightforward and fun, but it's about as simple as a story can be. 
I nearly passed on including this last selection, not because it isn't a fine picture book.  Munsch doesn't need my help to enhance his sales. Then I considered the initial direction of this post. I was second-guessing myself about this being too lightweight to include. Then I realized that it was the idea of being in a box that started the post in the first place. 
These three titles reflect the various ways we can all end up in a box. 

  • Danielle's well-intentioned but impulsive behavior led others to want to "get back at her".
  • Beauregard boxes himself up to avoid his fear of flying, but realizes his travels make it  worth the effort to overcome fear,  releasing him from that box. 
  • Henry Brown risked being shipped to freedom when his only reasons for living were stolen from him. Climbing into a box that could have ended as a coffin allowed him to escape the box of slavery.
Wouldn't this make an interesting exploration with readers of any age?










2 comments:

  1. What a thoughtful post! I need to read Beauregard in a Box! This is a post that makes me linger and think. TY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kathy. as I reviewed my habits and my posts over the past few years I recognized that I was producing far more reviews than reflections. I also found I regularly linked back to some earlier, more reflective posts, far more often than to reviews. Although I enjoy sharing discoveries about new (and some older) books with readers, I plan to continue tying those shares and recommendations to more relevant or at least more significant connections. I hope you'll continue to read the posts and hold me to that! TY!

    ReplyDelete

Picture books are as versatile and diverse as the readers who enjoy them. Join me to explore the wacky, wonderful, challenging and changing world of picture books.