Apr 29, 2012

Z IS FOR... MOOSE? SAYS WHO?

During the week of May 7-13 we celebrate the annual CBC - sponsored Children’s Book Week. I invited a unique guest to help us get in the right frame of mind: none other than Moose, co-star of the recently released Z IS FOR MOOSE, by Kelly Bingham, pictures by Paul O. Zelinsky.


A Horn Book review offers a detailed description worth reading. Moose insists that you check out this link before we begin, and also wants me to mention that the book has already earned
six starred reviews, including Horn Book, Publishers’ Weekly, School Library journal, Booklist, Kirkus Reviews, and the Bulletin of the Center for Children’s Books (CCB).


That said, Moose has signaled hoofs up to start discussing his book.

Six starred reviews? For an alphabet book? How hard can it be to create a simple alphabet book? With Zebra in charge and the other initial letter icons clearly experienced at this process, things should proceed without a hitch: “A is for apple, B is for ball” etc. Anyone could do that, right? Everyone has done that, right again?

Not with Moose in the line-up they haven't.

Even before the title page Moose is peeking under the curtain and dancing in anticipation while the other alphabet players calmly wait for directions.

And about that title page. Moose smugly eyes the large banner he has inserted which obscures the intended title, changing it to Z is for MOOSE. With just a squeak of foreshadowing tucked into the title “M”, the roll call begins without a glitch.
Each alphabet actor discards the everyday gear it is bearing or wearing (Ball has a bear, Cat wears a track suit, and Zebra wears suitably striped referee shirt and cap) to take its place on the platform and strike a traditional alphabet book pose. These are clearly composed, experienced icons, and Zebra is clearly running the show.

So far.

There’s just one problem- Moose. His eagerness, excitability, impatience, and raw exuberance (not to mention his size) dislodge the duck, edge out the elephant, hang over the hat, and otherwise manage to create mayhem while waiting for his turn on the M stage. To his horror (I agree, Moose, who can blame you?) he is appalled to find that “M is for MOUSE”!
From that point on the tension and chaos rapidly escalate through stages of denial, rage, depression, resignation, and on to a satisfyingly surprising reconciliation.

In an earlier post about the POWER OF PICTURE BOOKS I wrote that the very best picture books are compact, compelling, and complete, with layers upon layers of entertainment, imagery, and depth of meaning.
On every count, Z Is for Moose is one powerful book.

As an alphabet book alone it offers novel repetition of images, consistent sequence, and embedded “search” potential (W= Whale + wail; Y= YoYo + yank; T= Truck +teeth +tires +tail; S= Snake+ stripes+ stop+ +scratch out +scribble +sneer, etc.)

Character traits abound in both Moose and Zebra, but in every other player as well, offering potential discussions of imagined inner thoughts and subtext. That queen certainly looks like she'd have something to say, given half a chance. Take a look at the expression on Mouse to guess how he feels about all this.

Readers of any age may pause to consider the reasonable limits of enthusiasm, alternatives to intrusion, external control vs. self-control, freedom of expression vs. a time and place for order. Then there are questions of fairness, kindness, bullying, peer support, and personal space.

Okay, Moose, I agree. This book is funny and entertaining and none of this is necessary.
But give yourself (and Zebra and Kelly and Paul and your alphabet friends) credit for creating a book that wins on every level and is destined to be a classic.


I'm delighted to report that next week's post will feature interviews with Kelly Bingham and Paul O. Zelinsky discussing their creation of this remarkable book. That allows everyone time to read it before they pop in! (No, Moose, next week is their week, not yours. Yes, I'll let you ask some questions, too.)


I'd love to see what your thoughts are about the book, and be sure to stop back next week to hear from Kelly and Paul. If you've had a chance to share the book with kids, please comment on their reactions to Moose and Company. I'll bet Paul and Kelly would enjoy reading what they have to say.

If you are an aspiring PB creator yourself, this week I have a guest post at Rochelle Melander's blog with some tips and basics.

7 comments:

  1. I've heard of this book but haven't yet seen it. Thanks for the reminder: I'm going to my library today to check it out! I love Paul Zelinzky. Have you seen his pop-up Wheels on the Bus? My children loved it to pieces (literally: I had to buy another copy), and I've given copies to all my nieces and nephews: every kid should have this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, thanks for the mention of Wheels on the Bus. I wanted to reference it in this post but was already pretty wordy. Z is for Moose reminded me of Wheels in that it almost an oxymoron- a shrewdly simple book with limitless facets to explore. With only a few rereads Wheels reveals at least five visual story arcs intertwined more beautifully than a French braid.
    When you get Z is for Moose stop back and let us know what you think.
    (Warning, I started with a library copy and had to go right out and buy my own- some books are keepers.)
    Be sure to stop back next week to catch Paul's and Kelly's insights-oh, and Moose will be back, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, started with a copy I bought to give a child friend, but found I had to have one for myself as well. I will be a fan forever. This is a charming, very funny and touching book I'd recommend to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to hear your reaction matched mine. I have a feeling this will be "gifted" to many kids, long into the future. I'm working on the finally touches for the next post with Kelly's and Paul's comments and I'm certain you'll enjoy them as much as I have. Thanks for sharing your reaction with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My students love “Z is or Moose”! One precocious first grade student said, “I think it’s hilarious! Even though I have a sore throat, I couldn’t help myself; I had to read it aloud.” I read the book with a group of kindergarteners and they were inspired to start writing their own. They didn’t get too far today but the project is underway: “A is for Ariel, J is for Juan, N is for Noah.” I bet you can guess the names of the students in this group. They thought they’d let Moose fill in for the rest of the letters. I’m not sure how they’ll make this happen but I’ll soon find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanette, thank you for sharing such an encouraging report. It's no surprise to me, but wonderful to hear about Moose's impact "for real". I have no doubt Moose would be happy to help if they need it, but something tells me they are plenty creative on their own. Hope your fella fighting a sore throat is feeling better soon, too.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Picture books are as versatile and diverse as the readers who enjoy them. Join me to explore the wacky, wonderful, challenging and changing world of picture books.